/* */

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Whole Grains and Such

Before I go on to whole grains, I want to address my goals again. I realized that I put too many on one week. I need to make 2 or so a habit before adding the next one and so on. I've been so resistant to doing some of these things, that I need to start a little smaller. But I'm only dropping #6 - the "to do" list. The rest are too important to put off.

On to whole grains.........

I love to bake. I've always done some baking, but lately it's become almost an obsession. Even worse, it's a great way to avoid doing what you really SHOULD be doing - like laundry, getting dressed, exercising and counting calories! On the other hand, I really, really enjoy it and am amassing a wonderful collection of recipes. So, I figured if I'm going to bake, at least maybe I can try to find a more healthful approach to baking. In that vein, I asked for and received King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking. So far I really like it. Even if the recipes don't always turn out fantastically, I'm learning about different kinds of flour, what works and what doesn't. Even bad recipes are learning experiences. I haven't had any downright bad recipes from this book yet, but some have been better than others.

Why eat whole grain, you ask? Check out these articles for some good information:

Get the Whole Truth (MSNBC/Newsweek)

Why is it important to eat grains, especially whole grains?
(MyPyramid/USDA)

Dish Up Whole Grains (Cooking Light)

Anyway, you can check out these recipes over at The Savory Notebook. Although these are whole grain recipes, they are NOT low fat, so you still need to eat them sparingly. Which is a big reason why I really need to count calories!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this cookbook - try the chewy chocolate chip cookies - they are wonderful -

1:43 PM  
Blogger Alysha said...

I've definitely had my eye on those and a few others! :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow!! Terrific stuff, great links, too. The WHOLE truth... so true...

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great resource. I have my eye on the chewy chocolate chip cookies, I might try and make them this weekend.

Weight loss is really about figuring out what works for you and what fits into your life, rather than trying to fit your life around a diet.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home