/* */

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Whew!

Today I worked out the lower body - whew! I think I dislike working out the lower body even more than I dislike sit-ups! Not only is it a large muscle group, but it tends to be a pretty aerobic workout as well, unlike working out the upper body. Pretty exhausting stuff.

The workout I did today - Cathe's Legs and Glutes - requires very little equipment - I did most of it with my step alone. Cathe uses weights for about half of the exercises, but I find them challenging enough that I don't use weights except for one or two of the exercises. I sometimes use weights with squats and lunges, but this workout has so many repetitions that I don't find weights necessary - I feel the burn plenty without them!

I find that when I do these kinds of videos, or even in classes at a gym, I modify a lot. I think it's important to not let what the instructor or other class participants are doing discourage you from getting a good workout at your own level. Not only did I skip weights for most of this workout, I also modified how I did exercises according to my equipment or lackthereof. I used my doorways for balance during some of the leg lifts instead of a pole and I used my stairway and banister to do my calf raises. Whatever works! Whatever you need to do to get through the class - slow down, drop the weights, take a rest, use different equipment - the most important thing is to just move.

And of course I couldn't ignore Bailey, so I took him for a 30-minute walk. Here's a picture that shows what I often see - today included - when I try to get down on the floor for mat work...........

I have a busy day tomorrow with the in-laws arriving later in the afternoon for a visit, so I hope I'm disciplined enough to squeeze in a walk with Bailey. If it's not raining, that is.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home